Hawkeye Legends Coming to Storm Lake on July 12-13;
Kenny Arnold Foundation to Host Social Event and Golf Outing
There will be two events that Hawkeye fans will enjoy:
• On Friday, July 12, Lake Creek will host a “Meet & Greet” featuring live music and a chance to share memories with several Hawkeye legends.
• On Saturday, July 13, a four-person, best-shot golf tournament will include appearances by several former Hawkeye athletes and feature many unique auction items.
KENNY ARNOLD’S IOWA CAREER (1979-82)
- Scored 1,112 points
- Handed out 352 assists (10th all-time in Iowa history)
- Led Final Four team in points and assists (1980)
- Played on Iowa’s last Big Ten champion (1979)
- During his four years, Iowa finished 1st, 4th, 2nd and 2nd in the Big Ten
- Second all-time in Iowa history for minutes played in the NCAA Tournament (350)
- Fourth in Iowa history for points scored in Final Four games (39)
- One of three players in Iowa history to score 20+ points in a Final Four game (Carl Cain, Bill Logan, Kenny Arnold)
- Never left he court in the last game of his Iowa career (45 minutes)
- One of six Hawkeyes to finish career with at least 1,100 points, 350 assists, 250 rebounds and 80 steals.
JOIN THE BATTLE TO FIGHT CANCER!
$30 for 30 months
Join Us today!
TEAMMATES FOR LIFE
In 1980, Kenny Arnold led the Iowa basketball team to the Final Four. But for the last 30+ years, he has been fighting health issues, including a brain tumor and several strokes, which have limited his mobility, robbed him of his ability to speak and left him in a state of chronic pain.
Arnold’s former Iowa teammates and coaches, and the entire Hawkeye Basketball Family, have stayed in contact with Arnold throughout his medical and financial challenges. Today, Arnold’s Hawkeye Basketball Family — his “Teammates For Life” — have dedicated their efforts to help defray his expenses, provide items for him that he may need, as well as provide for others in need in his name through this foundation.
Become a “Teammate For Life” today for your OWN friend, family member or loved one, who is suffering (or has suffered) from cancer. Nobody can battle cancer alone. People fighting cancer need support, both physically and emotionally. That’s where their “Teammates For Life” come in! Whether they need a helping hand, a little extra support, a 30-minute visit or some other sign that simply says “I am here for you … you are not in this alone.”
Kenny Arnold’s Story
The last time the Iowa Hawkeyes earned a trip to college basketball’s Final Four was in 1980 and Kenny Arnold led that team in both points and assists. He was a sophomore guard for Coach Lute Olson’s team that battled through knee injuries to its All-American point guard Ronnie Lester, as well as injuries to Arnold (broken thumb), Bobby Hansen (hand), Mark Gannon (knee) and a plane crash that seriously injured Assistant Coach Tony McAndrews.
Perseverance and teamwork carried the Hawkeyes in that magical season. And now, perseverance and teamwork are guiding Arnold’s former teammates to assist the Hawkeye great, who currently lives in a skilled nursing facility in Chicago.
“Kenny has always been a tremendous leader,” says former teammate Mike “Tree” Henry. “At the time of his initial diagnosis, the doctors gave him a 10 percent chance of surviving. Well, that was 32 years ago and Kenny keeps fighting. We are all so inspired by how he has lived his life, we want to do something special to honor Kenny and to help motivate people out there who are facing similar battles.”
Henry is the Executive Director of the Kenny Arnold Foundation, which has a mission to raise funds to be directed toward cancer research and education, as well as to assist families who have been affected by cancer.
“Kenny is such an inspiration,” says Henry. “So we want to share his story and inspire others to keep fighting, as well as motivate those who can help others to take action and become a part of someone’s ‘Teammates For Life.'”
Join the battle to fight cancer!
News, events and research delivered to your inbox.
Show Support For Kenny … Or For Someone You Know Who Has Battled Cancer!
Order a shirt to show your support for Kenny Arnold. Show him that you are pulling for him and that you’re with him in spirit! Show your appreciation for the 1980 Hawkeyes and the way they’ve stuck together, supporting their teammate through the most difficult of times … and pay tribute to Kenny and his “Teammates For Life!”
Or order a shirt to show that you’re a part of the “Teammates For Life” for your own friend, family member or loved one, who is suffering (or has suffered) from cancer. Make this shirt a symbol for you to say, “Fighting cancer is a TEAM effort … and I am part of my loved one’s “Teammates For Life!”
TEAMMATES FOR LIFE
1979-80 Eastern Regional Championships NCAA Semi-Finalists